Sunday, November 9, 2008

Losing Streak

My wife and I have been attending a young marrieds group for whats has almost been a year now. The leader of our group is a very competitive man (we'll call him J. I don't like to use names in the blog unless they are family). There is nothing wrong with this, I feel too often competitive becomes synonymous with jerk, but it is not the case with J. J is about 6'4" built on a solid frame. I play basketball with him every Tuesday and he is what physics refers to as an "immovable object".

A few weeks back we went bowling with him and his wife, T, as well as some other couples from our group. T is a thin unimposing relaxed woman, who appears extremely fragile. She is Wilma to J's Fred.

At first glance T doesn't appear to be competitive, she doesn't both to take such trivial things such as bowling so seriously. However she does in this case because J has never beaten her in a game of bowling and the frustration that this causes J has heightened its importance to her.

On this particular night J was winning going into the 8th frame on two games and ended up losing both games, and to my knowledge remains winless against his wife.

Another married couple who we have been friends with for some time was telling us about their competitions. He wins most, but there is one or two competitions where the husband has a significantly lower wining percentage this his counterpart. Their example was her ability to determine whodunit when watching NCIS. Apparently it drives him crazy.

I am beginning to feel that most marriages have something like this. A partner who dominates most of the competitions, but has that one thing they can not break through on. My wife is in no way a competitive person, but I for the life of me, am completely incapable of defeating my wife in Rock Paper Scissors! Of the hundreds of rounds of Rock Paper Scissors we have played I can count the number of victories I have on one hand. I can't even manage to win a best of three series.

The defeat wouldn't be so embarrassing, there are tons of husbands who have something that their wives can beat them at. But with J, it is because T is more graceful, and more adapt for a game like bowling, she is just flat out better. With our other friends, she is more attentive while watching TV and is in tune with storylines and clues.

What makes my inability to win at Rock Paper Scissor so shameful is the completel lack of skill required to win. Mathematical laws state that I should have one at least 10 best of three series by now, let alone a better record than 5 for 247. That is a .018 winning percentage. I can get better odds in Vegas!

I have concluded one fo two things. Either my wife is the greatest Rock Paper Scissors player to ever play the game, or I am the worst.

1 comments:

Jess said...

I think the answer to your question is quite clear: I'm obviously the best RPS player around. Yep. I just threw in a little slang.